In May 2016, the Contract Awards Committee of the BAI issued a public notice announcing its intention to invoke the fast-track licensing process for the following sound broadcasting services, in accordance with section 67 (3) of the Broadcasting Act 2009:
- a National Broad-format Service,
- a Regional Youth Music-driven Service, serving the Southwest of the country, and
- a Local Broad-format Service for Limerick City and County.
The public notice stated that any person, other than the incumbent, interested in providing a service in any of the franchise areas was required to submit in writing that he/she wished to apply for the award of the contract (“Statement of Intent”) by the stated closing date. No Statements of Intent were received by the BAI from any person for any of the contracts advertised.
At its meeting of 28th June last, the Contract Awards Committee formally ratified the fast-track application process for the above services. The incumbents, further details of which are outlined below, will now be invited to submit a fast-track proposal to the BAI which will be considered by the Contract Awards Committee in due course.
- The contract for the National Broad-format Service is currently held by Radio Ireland Limited, broadcasting as Today FM. This contract is scheduled to expire on 16th March 2017.
- The contract for the Regional Youth Music-driven service is currently held by Spin South West Limited, broadcasting as Spin South West. This contract is scheduled to expire on 28th June 2017.
- The contract for the Local, Broad-format Service for Limerick City and County is currently held by Treaty Radio Limited, broadcasting as Limerick’s Live 95FM. This contract is due to expire on 23rd October 2017.