The Broadcasting Authority of Ireland (BAI) has today (2nd May) announced the decisions of the Contract Awards Committee (the Committee) in relation to the Expressions of Interest process for twelve sound broadcasting services.
In the case of seven of the franchise areas advertised, one expression of interest for the provision of each service was received. The Committee considered each expression of interest on its own merits and in the context of the relevant sound broadcasting service and franchise area. The Committee agreed that, in each case, the respondent was the incumbent, as defined by the Broadcasting Act 2009 and that the expression was made in good faith. Accordingly, and in line with Section 67(2) of the Act, the Committee has decided to invoke the fast-track procedure for each of these seven services. A notice will be published in the national press on the week commencing 13th May in this regard.
In the case of the five remaining franchise areas advertised, two expressions of interest for the provision of each service were received. The Committee considered each expression of interest, having regard to the relevant statutory provisions. In each case, it was agreed that all of the expressions of interest received had been made in good faith. Therefore, the Committee decided that the provision of a service for these five franchise areas should be open to a competitive licensing process. Notices will be placed in the national press in this regard on a phased basis between June and September, 2013.
Media Queries to Tony Heffernan, DHR
01 4200580/ 087 2399508
The services advertised in the expression of interest phase for which the fast-track procedure will now be invoked are as follows:
- Cork City and County: Music-driven local radio service; Target Audience 15–34 year olds
- Cork City and County: Two services to be operated under a single contract, as follows:
- Broad-format, local radio service
- Music-driven, local radio service
- County Kerry: Broad-format, local radio service
- Counties Carlow and Kilkenny: Broad-format, local radio service
- County Kildare: Broad-format, local radio service
- Dublin City and County: Music-driven local radio service with a focus on new music; Target Audience 15-34 year olds
The services advertised in the expression of interest phase which will now go to a competitive licensing process are as follows:
- South East Region – Waterford City and County, South Tipperary, Counties Wexford, Carlow and Kilkenny: Regional, Music-driven radio service; Target Audience 15 – 34 year olds
- North Donegal: Broad-format, local radio service
- County Sligo, North Leitrim and South Donegal: Broad-format, local radio service
- Counties Laois, Offaly and Westmeath: Broad-format, local radio service
- Dublin City and County: Niche music-driven service