The Broadcasting Authority of Ireland (“BAI”) has today, 9th September 2013, announced the outcomes of Round 18 of the Sound and Vision Scheme.
Grants totalling €4.462m have been offered to broadcasters and independent producers to support the production of 102 Radio and 17 TV projects. When completed, the funded projects will be broadcast by a range of community, commercial and public service broadcasters across the country. All of the projects being offered funding will explore the themes of Irish culture, heritage and experience.
Highlights of this round include:
- 297 applications were assessed by the BAI in this round requesting a total of €17.135m.
- A mix of Drama, Documentary, Entertainment, Animation and Education programmes are being funded.
- The allocation for television projects is €3.78m and the allocation for radio is €677k
- A Variety of audiences are being served – when complete, the programmes will appear on 44 channels around the country.
- 15 of the projects are Irish/Bi-lingual programmes.
- 50 of the projects will be broadcast by Commercial stations, 38 by Community stations and 31 by Public Service stations.
- Approx. 95% of funds go directly to the Independent TV/Radio production sector.
Speaking about the announcement, Michael O’Keeffe, Chief Executive of the BAI said “This is the second of three Sound & Vision funding rounds scheduled for 2013 and today’s announcement brings the total funding awarded in 2013 to €8.939m and the total number of projects supported to 223. While we look forward to engaging with those awarded funding, it is also important to acknowledge the large number of quality projects which could not be supported due to the limited funds available. In Round 18, the Assessment Panels recommended projects with a total value in excess of €10m which far exceeded the allocation. In line with the Scheme requirements the BAI selected a package that provides format, genre and audience diversity.”
The BAI will now commence contract negotiations with all successful applicants. A full list of the projects being offered funding is available here.
A further round of the Scheme (Round 19) is now accepting applications until 19th September at 12 noon. Applications can made online at: www.baionline.ie
Media Queries to:
Tony Heffernan/ Catherine Heaney
0872399508/ 0872309835/ 01 4200580